Entertainment

Indiana Jones Director Steven Spielberg Condemned Sequel – ‘Horrible’

Tonight at 6:45 pm on Channel 4, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull will hit television screens. While the 2008 movie has long been criticized for its plot and over-the-top scenes (remember the fridge?), famed director Steven Spielberg previously hated an earlier Indy entry. After releasing Raiders of the Lost Ark in 1981, he was commissioned to build a sequel and was not happy with the results.

Three years later, in 1984, Spielberg recruited Harrison Ford once more and shot Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. The film was a staggering success, grossing $333 million on a meager budget of $28 million, but Spielberg wasn’t happy.

He later said of the film, “I wasn’t happy at all with the second movie. It was too dark, too underground, and too horrible.” The director brutally added, “I thought it beat Poltergeist!”

Of course, the ET director was right. The Temple of Doom was largely set underground and included some brutal scenes involving blood and gore. The “Kali-Ma!” The ritual sacrifice scene has gone down in cinema history.

Spielberg added, “There’s not an ounce of my own personal feeling in Temple of Doom.”

He went on to say that making a sequel is “dangerous” because “you can never satisfy everyone”. He said: “If you give people the same movie with different scenes, they say, ‘Why didn’t you go more original? But if you give them the same character in another fantastic adventure, but with a different tone, you risk disappointing the other half of the audience who just wanted a carbon copy of the first movie with a different girl and a different bad boy.”

He concluded: “So you win and you lose both ways.”

Star Wars head George Lucas was also a writer on the series, and he felt the same way about The Temple of Doom. He compared it to the second chapter of his space opera The Empire Strikes Back, which concludes with a brutal ending.

Raiders of the Lost Ark writer Lawrence Kasdan confessed that he “did not want to be associated” with Temple of Doom.

He said: “I just thought it was horrible. It’s so bad. There’s nothing nice about it. I think Temple of Doom represents a chaotic period in both its [Lucas’s and Spielberg’s] lives, and the film is very ugly and mean”.

Although Spielberg wasn’t a huge fan of Temple of Doom, it was extremely successful and spurred another sequel, The Last Crusade, which was released in 1989.

The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull followed in 2008, with the fifth and final film, Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, hitting theaters later this year on June 30, 2023.

However, another of Spielberg’s screenwriters has also confessed that he warned the director about the plot of The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

The movie has long been criticized for including aliens in the series. And writer David Koepp previously said: “I was never happy with the idea [of including aliens]. When I entered, I tried to convince [Spielberg and franchise co-creator George Lucas] to change it”.

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny hits theaters on June 30, 2023.

FONT



#Indiana #Jones #Director #Steven #Spielberg #Condemned #Sequel #Horrible

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button